Wednesday 3 December 2014

A wet day in California

So, after 18+ hours of planes and airports yesterday, I am finally in CA. As I got into LA yesterday, I was struck by how hot it was in comparison to home, being 16c! I'm using the heat as an excuse as to why I left headphones in my pocket, which led to my hands being swabbed for residue which was tested in a machine looking like it should belong in CSI. As I got in after 11pm local time, I just managed to catch the second last BART (subway / overground / elevated rail combo) into the city. Strangely I wasn't too tired as I got to the hostel, so had a chat with a Canadian business student and Indian software engineer who I shared the room with.

I woke up to rain hammering on the roof and windows, waking me up at 8.30am (4.30pm UK time!). At first I was a little confused as California is in its worst drought in memorable history (which is pretty much the entire history in America!!). Turns out there is flooding in Marin county too. Undeterred, I had a quick breakfast and got ready to explore. I packed my bag with cameras and binoculars, and at the last minute decided to line my bag with a drybag. I am very glad that I did. I left the hostel and walked 50 metres down the hill, and immediately saw the golden gate bridge with a backdrop of dark clouds.

I wandered eastwards across from Alcatraz towards fisherman's wharf, looking in shops and being tempted (but resisting) corn dog and seafood stands.
Alcatraz with an accompanying pelican

I made my way to pier 39 to see the sea lions, and this is where I flood the page with videos (excuse the audio, there was a school trip next to me!) and photos.


 

I debated visiting the aquarium of the bay to escape the rain, although at $21, I resisted and continued on. Back past the hostel, I explored nearer to the golden gate bridge and witnessed a rainbow hitting Alcatraz, but sadly the photos were obscured by fog. The bridge itself however still looked good, although it isn't quite as impressive as i'd imagined.
 
To wrap up the day, I walked all the way to Chinatown, browsed a few supermarkets filled with dried animal products and looked at awesome swords and other weapons that looked rather scary. It is incredible how suddenly the shops and the people change. One street consists of offices and generic san franciscian places, the next is filled with chinese shops and restaurants, with chinese signs (and buses with Chinese announcements). It sounds silly, but I really didn't expect there to be such a sudden divide. After so much walking (San Francisco is big....), I decided to get a bus back to the hostel, so on the way to the stop, I explored Union square and downtown. I wasn't too interested in the shops (there isn't much use for a cashmere jumper from Macy's when it will get bird and seal poo on it in a few days time), so marched through the rain to my stop.
 
 
I am now exhausted, and can't even be bothered to try some fresh seafood for dinner at Fishermans Wharf. Instead, I had a 'wrap in a pack', basically a ready-made fajita kit, chicken and all.
 
Tomorrow I am off to Petaluma to stay in the office until the rest of the team arrive. I'll have a wander in the morning again, but the majority will be spent travelling and settling in. Thursday we are doing a Costco shop to buy anything we need in bulk (chocolate for the island?), followed by a safeway shop on Friday prior to shipping out!

No comments:

Post a Comment